Friday, August 5, 2011

Carbonara

I want to document vague family recipes so when I'm old and can't remember I'll have something to reference.  

Carbonara (or perhaps more correctly Carbonara Americana) was one of my favorite dishes growing up.  Actually it still is one of my favorite dishes.  It's like a fancier macaroni and cheese.  My Dad is credited with making up this recipe, spun from a mission favorite when he was in Italy.

Ingredients for 4-6 people (Rough Amounts)
-4-6 strips of Bacon, Cooked
-1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
-1 Egg, Scrambled
-Spaghetti Noodles
-Salt & Pepper to Taste

Directions
1.  Cook Bacon.  When cool enough to handle, break into small pieces.
2.  Mix cheese, bacon, egg, and a good few shakes of salt and pepper and stir together until everything is coated with egg.
3.  Cook spaghetti noodles to desired tenderness (I like mine al dente!), drain but don't rinse--you want your pasta hot.
4.  Put pasta back in the pot and turn heat on medium low.  Pour egg mixture in with noodles and start stirring fairly quickly(I prefer to stir with a fork).  Stir until cheese is melted, and then keep stirring until you see the egg is cooked (will see small curdles on noodles).

I should note that your pot is going to be pretty caked after this, but soaking in soap and water followed with using a scrubber will take it off.

Serve your carbonara immediately, and add more salt and pepper as needed.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello Friend!